Saturday, June 4, 2011

Weekly Update: 6.4.11

Not a whole lot happened this week (I was in village for a total of 4.5 days), but here are the highlights:
  • Got really nasty bug bites on my foot, which then swelled like a watermelon and itched like something really really itchy.  Turns out they're infected, so I'm on 8 days of intense antibiotics... to go with my already daily routine of anti-malarial antibiotics.  Cool.
  • Almost burned my house down.  Decided to make hardboiled eggs on Thursday morning: I had an hour before the girls showed up to go to Mama Models (oh, wait, let me explain that first:)
INTERJECTION:  So this weekend I'm at a project in Cotonou.  A bunch of the southern volunteers held essay contests with our 4eme girls (13-15 years old, in theory) on the topic, "What are your aspirations in terms of career?"  The essays were in French, and one or two winners from each school were chosen by a PC panel.  We brought all of the girls with us to Cotonou this weekend, and they're each staying with a very successful Beninese woman ("Mama Models") -- doctors, nurses, businesswomen, agricultural consultants, etc.  They shadow them for a day, then we do a goals-planning workshop with them (I get to help!), and then tomorrow night we're going to a really fancy ex-pat-inclusive charity dinner at the Ambassador's house, where the girls will make a presentation about what they learned.  Back to our regularly scheduled program.
  • K, so I was making hardboiled eggs at 9:30 and waiting for the girls to show up at 10:30. Stove was on, I was curled up with a book, and then at 9:50 on the dot, I heard knocking.  BENINESE PEOPLE SHOWED UP EARLY.  I was so shocked that I just picked up and left, forgetting completely about my second breakfast.  I realized that night (when I was already in Cotonou) what I'd done, and called my closemates frantically to see if they could go to my house.  Thank God for Lou -- I'm out two eggs and a little pot, but my house and furniture all still exist.  Hallelujah.
  • I think that's pretty much all.
  • Oh!  I finished my 50th book!  Grapes of Wrath -- so good.  Go read it.  But be prepared to crave bacon and biscuits the entire time.
  • The End.

No comments: