Sunday, July 31, 2011

Things That Happened This Week (7-24-2011)

Rhythm of the Marché. I went to the marché in Porto Novo to buy beads, and upon finding the right beads, I called the seller mama over. She walked over, and instead of starting the conversation with a “Hi, how’s it going?”, she instead chose to tap out an energetic rhythm on my butt before continuing with the sale. Hello to you, too.


A Box of Cheez-Its. Eaten in 2.5 days. Digestive system unhappy.


People Who Have Told Me I Look “Good Fat” Since My Return: Only 2. Must try harder at Christmas.


Started Studying for the GRE. Planning on taking it in September in Accra. Notes: it’s been a while since I took a standardized test. And math is still not my friend.


Books Read This Week. “Breakfast of Champions,” the first half of “The Three Musketeers,” and a book given to me by a pastor in my building who’s dead set on converting me to his church. Hasn’t worked yet, but the conversations have been entertaining – he seems surprised that I’ve read chunks of the Bible and can think about them all by myself.


Taco Night: The Final Fiesta. As our resident taco night master Erik is about to finish his two-year service, this weekend (7.31) is the last of his legendary fetes. Never one to let an occasion for tequila pass, he’s making this weekend by far the most elaborate one yet. Not only will there be the standard homemade tortillas, guacamole, salsa, and real bought-from-the-store cheese, but he’s also adding something that involves a blender...! Eeee!

No comments: