Friday, October 7, 2011

Weekly Update: 10.6.11



·      First Week of School.  Most of the days were comprised of me sitting and waiting for long stretches of time while I waited for important things to happen, such as: getting my schedule, getting them to fix my schedule, getting them to fix my schedule again, and getting someone to tell me the rooms I’m in.  I also played hangman with my students for four hours, and had one class just completely not show up.  Not a bad start to the year.

·      Snag in the Library Plan. I’m trying to write a grant application to build my school a library, which requires a loooot of organization and math and stuff.  I’m really excited about it, my friend Gabriel the Professor is really into it, and the director seems really happy about the project.  But this week, while working up the budget, a wrench managed to throw itself into my plans.  The grant application requires the community to put in 25% of the money or supplies, which I thought would be no problem – we get to count the room that they’re letting us use, so I figured if they just put in the librarian’s salary, we’d be good. 

I thought I made that part clear when I pitched the project, but somehow that must have gotten lost in the “hey, we’re getting a library!” stuff, and he forgot. This week when I talked to him, he told me there’s a good chance the school won’t be able to raise the money.  Which would mean that I can’t do the project.  Which would make me (and Gabriel, and the African children) very sad.  :( 

·      Finally Catching Up On Letters. Sorry, everyone, I sucked at mail this summer!  Am catching up now, promise.  In other news, I organized the school supplies in my house before school started, and I have over 4,000 stickers currently.  Don't send me any more, or I will have to start using them as wall paper.  Don't test me.

No comments: