Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Month and a Day...

The past several weeks have been intensely boring -- I spend my time reading (so far: two of Chelsea Handler's books, Half of a Yellow Sun, and Barrel Fever), watching French movies, and wandering across the vast plains of the interwebs.

The positive side, though, is that internet surfing frequently leads to internet shopping, and I have a lot of shopping to do before Benin.  Now that I've made friends with Amazon and Ebay, I'm over 3/4 of the way there... yay!

Other major update: while shopping with la Mamacita yesterday, I found and bought what may be the cutest pair of ugly sandals on the earth.  I know because I tried all of the other pairs on already. Having accomplished the shoes, the sleeping mat (a good one for $30 on Amazon -- snaps for good deals), the one-piece swimsuit, and having found a backpack to buy, I'm feeling much less stressed about this whole thing.  Still need to learn French, and haven't really progressed there, but hey, I've got a month and a day, right?















Other good news/news in general:
 - I get to keep my ear piercings! According to one of the volunteers, pierced ears are sometimes the only way you can tell gender over there, because everyone has their head shaved.
 - My amazing Auntie B sent me a grad gift that will really, really improve the pictures I post here... I'm fairly excited.
 - Jeans, in Benin, are considered professional attire -- guess who's going to work every day in jeans?  Andrew, Katie, BillyandBryant, feel free to be jealous. : )

That might be about it -- with no work, no school, and no major art projects, I lack exciting things to tell le blogosphere.  In closing here's a picture of Kenzie's latest amazing cupcakes (dark chocolate cake, 100 Grands inside, vanilla buttercream frosting, and caramel, 100 Grands, and sprinkles on top), just because they're so pretty.

No comments: