Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Rundown: How the First Week Works

I just got a little more information on staging and departure, so just in case you're curious...

Staging: 
 - Starts July 14th at 11:30am in Philadelphia.
 - To get there on time, I fly out from Columbus at 6:45am. Ew.
 - Consists of a lot of intro-to-the-Peace Corps stuff: presentations, crash course in our purpose as volunteers, a bunch of vaccinations, and some getting-to-know-you stuff with the other Benin trainees.
 - Ends at 3pm on July 15th, at which point we'll board a bus, drive to New York (why??), and fly out from there.

Flight:
 - New York to Paris: 7 hours (+1 hour layover)
 - Paris to Cotonou, Benin: 6.5 hours
 - Arrive at 7:05pm on Friday, July 16.

First Week:
 - Stay in camp thing for first four days, then move in with host families.
 - Includes visits to local authorities and the med. clinic, where I get even more vaccinations.
 - Also, intensive mini-courses in PC Policy, TEFL (my job), how to survive/shop/be safe/find my way around, and, obviously, French.
 - Days are packed from 8am to 7pm.

Sounds totally and completely exhausting.  I'm excited!

No comments: