Saturday, October 30, 2010

Stuff I Can’t Get Into A More Coherent Blog Post

10.27.10
 
- Big groups of kids, even when they’re students and have to curtsy to you when you greet them, are scary.

 
- In Cotonou two weekends ago, Elyse and I swung by a roadside “cafeteria” on our way back from our nightclubbing adventure (we were not alone, promise). As we sat eating our egg sandwiches, two rats darted up from behind the fridge, scrambled onto the thatched roof, and ran over our heads. “Huh,” Elyse said, “I didn’t know rats could run that fast up walls.” We kept eating.

 
- I started “decorating” my walls by writing quotes on them in chalk – idea by Lou and other PCVs. First thing I put up: “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming…” – Dori, Finding Nemo

 
- Other fun names from my classes this week: Kizito, Adeola, and Aude – pronounced “Odd.”

 
- When you’re alone in a faraway country, sometimes the littlest kindnesses mean the world. Today at the teachers’ meeting, my teacher friend Gabriel came and sat by me instead of a big group of other teachers, all of whom were sitting on the opposite side of the room. I almost teared up… it meant the world to have a friend.

 
- At the couteriere last week, I asked the seamstress to put a really long zipper into one of my dresses – I have trouble getting them on and off because tissu has no stretch at all. “But how will you close the zipper?” she asked, “Your husband isn’t here to help you!”

 
- Conversation with man on zem:
  • MOZ: Hello White! I’m happy to see you. Are you Italian or French?
  • Me: I’m American. I’m a volunteer from America, and I work at CEG Daagbe as a professor.
  • MOZ: Oh, excellent. How’s Europe lately?
  • Me: Umm… I don’t know, sorry. I’m from America. Not France.
  • MOZ: Not French? Italian? Or German?
  • Me: No, I’m not from Europe. NOT Europe. America. The United States.
  • MOZ: Ohhhh, you’re American! OBAMAAAAAA!

 

This is the view down the street, photo taken from the place I always sit with the mamas in front of my house. 

 
K, I will stop eventually with all of the pictures of the sky, but isn't it gorgeous?  Every night it's almost surreally stunning...

No comments: