Friday, April 22, 2011

Way Late Weekly Update(s): 4.21.11

So... uhh... I haven't updated in about a year.  Sorry.  This no-computer thing is tough.  Major updates:

  • Birthday Weekend in Toffo!  I went to Bridget's post for the weekend before my birthday, and with Victoria and Kim, we spent a couple of days painting a nutritional mural for Bridget's health center.  Fun!  We wowed the women's groupement with our mad art skillz, then spent the night making tacos and carrot cake and dancing to Girl Talk.  Definitely not a party in the US, but comfortable and so sweet of the girls. :)
  • My Actual Birthday = Sucky but Saveable.  My birthday was on a Monday.  Monday is my hell day -- I teach all of my classes on the same day, which requires a loooot of energy.  Unfortunately, there was something in the air on the 11th, and my kids were breathing deeply... It was easily one of the worst behaved days of the whole year for every single one of my classes.  Probably my fault somehow, but I'm not sure what I could have done differently.  BUT, through the power of le portable, my day was saved -- five people called me!  I was in tears when I got home, but by the time I fell asleep, I was giggling to myself.  Thanks everyone!  And never underestimate the power of a surprise phone call to Africa.
  • What a Sad Soup.  One night, I wasn't too hungry so I made chicken soup, sans chicken and noodles.  My neighbor Elise came over to visit, and I showed her my dinner.  Her response:  (look of intense pity) "Ohhh.... Melissa... you have no fish or spaghetti in your house... do you need me to feed you?"
  • Scott Lomando, We Love You.  Last week, our first TEFL volunteer ETed (left Peace Corps and left home).  It was kind of a huge hit for a lot of us, both because we adored our Scotty and because it's always hard to remember how easy it would be to just go home... but I'm happy for him.  I honestly think he'll be way happier now, and as much as we'll miss him, that's what's important.  Scott, in case you read blogs, we miss you!  And we cheersed to you about 15,000 times during IST.  And we love you.  And mail us better beer from America.
  • Major Accomplishments of Last Week.  I bought heels!  They're kind of tacky, but after four shopping trips in two different marches, it was time to settle.  Plus, every girl needs a pair of plastic stilettos covered in rhinestones, right?  Sam and I also had an adventure to search out delicious ignam pilee in Porto Novo, and then caught up on Glee(!!!) on her computer.  
  • In-Service Training in Cotonou.  This week was IST for TEFL from PSL23... We talk mostly in acronyms here.  Anyway, so we brought our homologues (another English professor for each volunteer) and had a week of training: team teaching, cultural exchange, grants/financial aid, visual aids, and all sorts of other things.  My homologue Epiphane is young (27) and kind of quiet, so it took a while for us to start talking.  By the end of the week, though, he was cracking jokes and participating in our sessions.  He even helped put on a skit to thank the volunteers, which was so sweet!  Anyway, so great week, and great to see all of the other crazy, awesome volunteers.  I love us!
  • I GET TO TRAIN! This is the biggest news of the week for me -- I got chosen to train the new set of volunteers this summer! They get in in July, and all of us really, really want to get to meet them and help them get used to la vie PCV -- being chosen is a huge honor. PSL24, we can't wait to meet you! Send me/us questions if you have them, and bonne chance with the whole packing ordeal!

    Painting a nutritional mural with Bridget.  We were working on the protein wall
    after doing the vitamin-rich foods group.
  • Breastfeeding!
    The rain is coming back!  The end of the hot season is coming!
    With Bevin and Dione in Cotonou during IST.  We spent waaaaay too much on
    chicken caesar salads (1/18th of my monthly salary), and it was waaaaaaay worth it.
    At the outdoor bar, all together.  I love my TEFLers!
    This is Epiphane, my oh-so-talented Beninese homologue (work partner). He's balancing a beer
    bottle on a cell phone, which he's holding with his mouth.
    Jenny and I -- love this girl.  LOVE.

No comments: