Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Weekly Update: Christmas Break

I went to a sparkly magical place for Christmas -- America!  It was an awesome, much-needed trip, and even though I'm supremely jet-lagged right now, I think it's important to list some highlights before I go back to village.  Thus, my list (in no particular order):


  • Seeing The Differences.  It had been a year and a half since I'd been in my home country, and it was kind of surreal to be back.  I stopped quite a few times just to double-check and make sure I was actually there.  It was especially interesting to see the differences in American people and African people now that I'm kind of settled in in my village:  Americans seemed weirdly obsessed with things like TV characters, new things, weight loss, and parenting.  On the flip side, it was incredibly comforting to remember that men actually treat you like an equal in America -- I knew that wasn't something I just made up!  
  • Also: we are SO rich.  The amount of stuff we have is craaaazy compared to the bare-walls-and-two-chairs thing most of my neighbors have going on.  My trip to Target was kind of stressful as a result -- how do you choose between 5 types of pretty much the same thing? And why do we need that many??
  • I'm Not All The Way Normal.  I think I did a really good job of being normal while home, but there were a couple of little accidents.  On several occasions, I accidentally said sarcastic things in Peace Corps-brand French, which would have been hilarious if I had been with other volunteers.  As it was, I just sounded like a snob.  My best moment, though, might have been when I yelled "Ko ko ko!" (what we do instead of knocking) and then just walked into my sister's room, where she was half-dressed and NOT pleased.  Oops. Guess I should have waited for the "Mé mé mé."
  • Gained 7 lbs!  Greatly added by Mom and Lauren following me around with snacks and cake pops, I'm proud to say that I gained a whole 7 lbs. while home.  Take that, amoebas.
  • MY PROJECT IS FUNDED!  This one was a huge moment -- I was so excited to find out that I'd gotten all of the donations needed to start my library project.  Thank you thank you thank you for all of your donations and advertising help!  Best part? We over-raised by several hundred dollars, so I get to donate some money to the camps, too!
  • Saw Some Favorite People. Miraculously, all four of my best friends from high school (including one who was a Bolivian exchange student -- hey Dani!) were in town at the same time this year, so we got to have a real reunion! We all got together to go wedding dress shopping with Lauren, who will be getting married in July 2013.  We're all bridesmaids, and it was wonderful to be together and making fun of each other just like we used to do.  :)  Also got to see a couple of old friends from high school and skype most of my friends from Rice.  Glad to see yall's faces!
  • Other Favorite Activities: Chai tea tasting with Mandee, who bought me 7 different types for Christmas. :)  Shopping with Mom, and mani/pedi-getting with Lauren.  Snow inner tubing with cousins. Fashion help from Katiebelle, and breakfast with my Dad.  Eating.  Just being home for a little while.
  • All in all, a fantastic trip.  Was it hard to come back?  Yeah, kinda.  But I'm so glad I went, and now, I'm calm and recharged for these last few months.  Bring on the projects, I'm ready!

No comments: