Sunday, February 19, 2012

More Aprons, What?

A couple of people have contacted me wanting tissu aprons, since the last ones sold out so fast. I wasn't going to do anymore because I didn't have a project to put the money toward, but I think I have one now... Or, well, a person.

My couturiere has done a lot for me, and I want to help her earn some money for her diploma in two years, which costs her about $100...and then she has to pay for the party afterward. I don't want to pay for everything (the party she can do with help from her older brother), but I'd like to give her the chance to earn some of the money, instead of borrowing/asking for it from older relatives.

Here's my proposal: each apron will be $15, like before. Out of that, I'll split the profits between her and another Peace Corps Benin project (not sure which one yet, but probably a girls' education one), meaning that she'd get about $5 per apron (a LOT of money here). She asked that I or another volunteer hold on to the money until she's graduating so that she's not tempted to spend or lend it, and that kind of proved to me that she's serious about saving it. She's kind of amazing, really: didn't even finish primary school but speaks French better than most people I know, and at 19 is essentially running her older sister's seamstress shop.

Anyway, so that's where the profits would be going: to a Peace Corps project and to a spunky, smart girl trying to start up her own, independent life. Aprons won't be mailed until July at the earliest, because I don't want to send them by unreliable Africa mail. Want to order? Send me an email (lissa.glasgo@gmail.com) with the number you want, the address I should send it to, and any special requests you have. I'll email you back about sending a check.

Thanks so much for everything y'all do! You're amazing people, and I'm lucky to have you following me along in this crazy Beninese adventure. :)

No comments: