Thursday, June 14, 2012

Updates 6.12-6.17

- And the 114 Verdicts... I have officially and finally finished calculating and entering grades for all of my students. (Teachers in America, take a moment to thank the higher powers that you have computers. Doing grades with a calculator is a pain.) Cheers! Out of 114 kids, 76 passed the semester -- two thirds. I'm pretty sure that's better than last semester, so I'm happy. :)


- Take Our Daughters to Work Day. This weekend is a big project that Victoria, Bridget and I are doing: we bring 15 girls from southern villages to Cotonou and match them up with professional, successful Beninese women. The girls shadow the women (Mamans Modeles) at work and interview them, stay at their houses and just kind of soak up everything that they can learn about being a professional woman. They spend a day with us doing workshops on goal setting, the importance of education, etc., and then we all attend a fancy dinner as kind of a ceremony for the completion of the project. I brought girls to the project last year, and they've kept in contact with their mamans -- one is even planning on spending the summer in Cotonou with hers. :) Cool project, and a good use of our weekend, I think.


- Mandee in T Minus Six! Mandee gets here in six days, on the 20th, and I gotta be honest: it still feels kind of surreal that she's coming. It's not going to be real until she gets off that plane. But I can't wait! I'm putting her on a zem immediately. Crash course in the Beninese transportation system!

No comments: