Sunday, July 29, 2012

Updates (7.14-7.21)

- To Bridget's House We Go! About a year ago Bridget moved from one little village to an even tinier village nearby. I hadn't had the chance to visit up until now, so last weekend a couple of really good friends (Matt, Michelle, Vicky) and I made the trip to the other side of the south. Her village is gorgeous and remote, all forests and hills and tunnels of jungle foliage, and I loved getting to see how many people just absolutely adore her there. Every kid we passed called out "Tata Brigitti!", and when we arrived at least five people came by to say hello. It was a great night full of good food and wine and wonderful people.

- Weekend in Cotonou. Post-Bridget's we headed down to Cotonou for the quarterly volunteers-and-administration meeting, which was mainly an official excuse for us to hang out with several awesome COSing volunteers (PStarr, Dione, the Spencers) for the last time. Strange to say goodbye to some people who have been there with me since the beginning, like Dione: she and I learned French together from the first day, and she's been one of my most constant sources of support, hilarious stories, and positive energy since then. I'll miss her here and I hope I get to see her sometime back in the States, where I imagine she'll be thrilled at the speedy Internet she can use to Google thousands of pictures of entertainingly-clothed baby animals. Dione, you've had a big part in making my service what it's been, and I'm going to miss your excellent jambons. How is your head?


- A Bad Day. Had kind of a mid-week slump, but thanks to friends and a spaghetti omelette dinner with my post mate Kalyn, I'm feeling much better.

- 100! Just finished "The Brothers Karamazov", which is my 100th book read while in Benin. Goooooal! Also, Russian literature? Way more fun than I'd expected.

No comments: