Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Mustard Marinade

My aunt's job is to get other people jobs, and she's really good at it.  So when she tells me to do something, like make sure my blog has a marketable angle for my future resumes, I generally do it.  Thus, here is the first of many food-related posts -- a dinner party experiment that went surprisingly well.

While in Houston, Alex, Tara and I cooked a celebratory yay-we're-all here dinner, which included Alex's delicious mashed potatoes (with mayonnaise in them! Weird.), sauteed squash and zucchini, an experimental pork tenderloin, and apple pie/peach cobbler for dessert.  Having never made a pork tenderloin, I did the logical thing and made up my own recipe (looking on epicurious.com for ideas).  Here's the rough recipe -- it turned out really well!

Pork Tenderloin with Mustard-Honey Marinade, Apples and Onions
2 pork tenderloins
4 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. spicy whole grain mustard (I used Spicy Guinness Mustard)
2.5 T. honey (or more, to taste)
1 t. dried rosemary leaves
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
One apple (preferably a firm type)
One small red onion


 1.  Mix vinegar, mustard, honey, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste.  Coat tenderloins in marinade, then let them sit in the refrigerator for 3 hours.  Periodically turn the pork so that all sides marinate evenly.

2.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Cut apple and onion into slices.  Sauté over medium-high heat until slightly softened.  Make a bed of apples and onions on a olive oil coated baking sheet.

3.  Take apple/onion pan and add a little more olive oil.  Sear tenderloins, turning so that all edges brown and seal.  Place tenderloins on apple/onion bed, pour extra marinade on top, and bake until pork is just barely pink in the middle, around 20-25 minutes.

4.  Slice and serve with apples and onions.  And Alex's Mayonnaise Mashed Potatoes. 

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I can vouch - it was delicious!