Saturday, February 19, 2011

First Semester Stats

In the entire school, there are 725 students. Out of 725, only 419 passed overall. Here’s the chart.


CEG Daagbé First Semester
Grade /Total Kids /Passed /Failed /Pass %
6eme /214 /152 /62 /71%
5eme /213 /142 /71 /67%
4eme /145 /101 /44 /67%
3eme /153 /24 /129 /15%
Total /725 /419 /306 /57%


I teach 6eme and 5eme, and our grades did fairly well. The scary one is 3eme – 85% failed their entire semester. We had a teacher’s meeting and talked about why that was happening, and everyone mainly just seemed baffled… I don’t have a better answer, other than it’s something about how much harder 3eme gets and how they don’t study/test well. I’m thinking of asking one of the other profs if he thinks a study skills session would help… I could teach that, I think, and since they don’t really learn different study strategies, it might help those who want to do better.

My First Semester
Grade /Total Kids /Passed /Failed /Pass %**
6eme M1 /45 /30 /15 /67%
6eme M2 /44 /26 /18 /59%
5eme M1 /43 /23 /20 /53%
Total /132 /79 /53 /60%

**Sorry, I know that's really hard to follow, but I can't figure out how to do a chart on here...
So I guess I’m in the right range, but not on target yet. I did see a lot of the other grades, and a lot of science grades and math grades were way lower than English, so that made me feel better. Also, the head English prof said that my grades were exactly normal for English classes… bleh. Sad. But at least I’m not crashing and burning, I guess.


Anyway, that’s where I am. I want to shoot for 70% passing in all classes next semester – it won’t happen, but it’s important to have goals. The short list of my other goals for next semester:


- Get my girls’ club up and running
- Have spelling bee, transition into actual English club
- Paint giant map of world on school wall
- Find a discipline system that actually works
- Teach students one Lady Gaga song. It has to happen.


Those are the big ones. More updates to follow… a week off now, then wish me luck for next semester!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

world map? as in, world map project for earth day? woohoo. I'm gonna try to get that going at my school too.