Friday, February 4, 2011

Weekly Update: 2.4.11

  • Devoirs Are Boring.  Like, really boring.  The kids take exams that are really, really hard (the texts for English were way harder than the kids were ready for), and we have to stand there and try to keep them from cheating.  Basically half of their grade depends on the tests, so there's huge pressure... anyway, I just stand there for two hours glaring at kids who sneak peeks at their neighbor's test.  I'm great at the I'm-gonnna-kill-you look now, but that's basically all I gained from this week.
  • ...Except When There Are Goats.  Halfway through the second devoir I oversaw, two goats walked into my classroom, bleated, pooped on the floor, and walked out.  The students continued working.
  • Or When Someone Screws Up The Test.  The secretary of our school didn't copy the 5eme exam correctly -- there was a whole section where they were supposed to identify pictures of musical instruments by writing the English word.  Problem: there were no pictures.  After freaking out about it for half an hour and trying two different nonfunctional photocopiers, another professor and I grabbed chalk and sprinted around to all of the rooms drawing the instruments on the board.  I'm hoping my art skills were up to standard... either way, we looked like heroes.
  • Other Accomplishments This Week: I taught Dorothé to salsa (he's not very good -- yet), spent a day at my couteriere's house and started teaching her how to draw, accidentally insulted another professor (uh oh), convinced a 6-year-old boy that trying to breastfeed on me would not be a good idea (he tried), managed to not kill my cat when he peed in my kitchen for the third time this week (wtf??), read 2 books, and found a house that sells double-yolked chicken eggs en masse for cheaper than at the marche.  Not all wins, but not all fails either.
  • Uploaded Videos on Facebook.  I tried uploading them here, but the thing won't work... will try that later.  But for now, check them out on Facebook!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

If popsickle still smells pee from where he peed, he will try to pee there again. If you have any vinegar scrub is really good with that. they hate that smell and maybe he wont pee there anymore. Or he might be stressed about something or mad at you haha. Oh sending a birthday package for you today!
-Lauren