Friday, November 11, 2011

For maybe the first time in my PC service, I am stressed about getting things done. Yay! I feel productive! Besides teaching, I'm working on the world map (so pretty!), getting aprons and family Christmas gifts made, a scholarship program for a girl at my school (yet to be chosen)*, and of course, that giant grant application for the library. 

The library grant is what's really stressful, mainly because of the budget. Getting exact estimates from my director and carpenter has been SO difficult, and I'm still not even done. Plus, I have to figure out how much it'll cost to ship 200 books from France, and despite searching on the Internet, emailing the NGO and having Gabriel calk their office, we still have no idea what it's going to cost. No budget means no grant, so I'll be really anxious until I get it all together. Want this thing up before December, and praying desperately that it'll happen.

Other than projects and things, not too much is going on. I took the purple braids out and lost a bunch of hair in the process, but oh well. It'll be cooler in hot season, right? Visited a couple of friends last week -- Juliette, mother of the twins Doloresse and Dorothe -- who moved to Porto-Novo. I miss them... She was one of my best friends in village, and her adorable kids always made me laugh.  Have also been visiting the new volunteers in their posts, and am happy to report that none of them seem to be wallowing in depression or going insane! Yay new PCVs!

Last thing: today I was walking and a raindrop hit my cheek. My honest-to-god first thought was, "Dangit, a lizard peed on me AGAIN." What has Benin done to me??

*Scholarship Girls is a program run by our PC Benin Gender and Development committee. You create an application for the girls at your school, then form a selection committee with members of your school and community. One girl at CEG Daagbe (winner is chosen based on financial need, grades, and essay responses) will win a full year scholarship and money for her uniform and notebooks. Lots of organization required, but definitely a worthwhile program.

No comments: