Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Chicken in the Road

I can't remember if I blogged this, but it makes me laugh every time I think about it, so I'm going to tell it again.

I was riding my bike back from school a few weeks ago, thinking very hard about something and thinking very little about the road ahead of me. This frequently gets me into trouble, as people only use a foot-wide track down the road going both ways (despite its being a normal two-way-sized road), so not paying attention means you run a pretty high risk of collision. Anyway.

I was biking home and not looking ahead of me. In the split second before I ran over it, I saw a white mass, feathers...a chicken. I swerved, nearly falling over, and off to the right I heard a big collective gasp, then a relieved sigh. I looked toward the noise. There, I saw a group of no less than 15 people -- men, women, toddlers, topless grandmas -- all sitting there, watching this dead chicken. This was their afternoon activity. They were sitting on a log, just hanging out and waiting for someone to run over an already run-over bird. Better than TV.

No comments: