Sunday, September 19, 2010

Shopping for Post and... Swear-In!


The last couple of days have been an absolute blur – we got our move-in allowances on Thursday, so we’ve been shopping like crazy since then. Then yesterday we had swear-in in the morning (Yall, I’m a REAL volunteer now! Yaaaaay!), shopping and eating in the afternoon, and a big party last night. And more shopping today with my host sister Madjidath (she helps me avoid getting ripped off). And probably tomorrow. I’m exhausted.


Swear-in was held in the ambassador’s back yard in Cotonou, which meant that we weren’t really allowed to take many pictures (sorry!). Each sector chose one tissu design, and each person in that sector takes a couple of meters and makes an outfit out of it. It looks pretty cool when everyone’s together, actually – it’s surprising to see how many different things you can make out of one piece of cloth.


Oh, okay, so besides the clothes, swear-in: we got there, sat down, began the ceremony, and it began to monsoon. It did not stop monsooning for about 2 hours, at which point we were drenched and coated in a fine layer of mud. There were lots of speeches, most of them boring and/or in a local language that I don’t speak, and after the ceremony they gave us a bunch of meat- and cheese-filled pasteries… Mmmm. I think I ate 15.


After heading to the PC Bureau to do a whole bunch of paperwork and admin stuff, we went to Eravan, which is Benin’s Target. It was absolutely crazy to walk in there: it was air-conditioned, there were shopping carts, and there were American foods like Snickers and Pringles. We were so overwhelmed when we walked in that it took us a second to start actually shopping… I’m going to be incompetent and weird when I get home.


Fast forward a couple of hours, and we were back in Porto Novo having a party on the roof of a hotel. It was fantastic – good music, fun dancing, great people, and finally a chance to cut loose and shake the stress of stage off. I’m going to miss these kids over the next couple of months – we’ve gotten pretty close over the past 9 weeks, and I’m fairly certain that by the time we head back home, we’ll be our own little family.

6 comments:

Charlotte said...

Y'all are SO SO cute! Except I'm not sure of their names, could you clue me in, please?

I love the party- you needed to let loose and shake off the past 2 months!!!! Glad you could.

We are so proud of all of you!!!

Love,
Mom

Trevalynne said...

Lissa,
What a great looking group! I think the fabric design is beautiful. Something salty would taste good right now at 11:43 pm! I just got back from spending 5 days in an Amish household in NY state. So will you have LED lanterns w/batteries for night? Raw milk and yogurt tasted so good;YET I have been under the weather for the past 60 hours...eating is not a good idea right now. :) SO do not drink raw milk or eat raw yogurt. I read you will be getting a kitten...what a wonderful 'warm fuzzy' for company! I almost brought 1 or more barn cats home. Changed my mind as I have trouble caring for 2. Noah is laying next to me as I type. He's looking at me and smiling..I'm such a pushover. :) Take care as you move to the village. Trevalynne

crbearce said...

Lissa,

I haven't seen you since your were 4' tall. You have turned in to such a beautiful, smart, funny, talented woman! Wow! Your mom was pretty adventurous at your age but I think you win the prize!

LOVE the blog and photos! The tissus look cool on you all!

I hope things go as smoothly as possible as you settle in to your new village.

Love and Blessings!
Catherine Bearce

You may come back weird but incompetent . . . naaaaa.

Anonymous said...

Lissa - I'm a friend of your Mom's and just want you to know how much I am enjoying reading your blog about your PC experiences in Benin. You have an amazing way of transporting me into your world and I feel as though I'm almost there with you. Keep the stories coming - you will be in my thoughts & prayers. - Lindi

Lissa said...

Mom - That's Brittany, Me, Elyse and Jenny. : )

Trevalynne - I've got a kerosene lantern and lots of candles... I also have electricity some of the time, though, so I'm a little spoiled. :) Thanks for writing (and for reading -- I love that so many of Mom's friends read my blog!), and take care!

Catherine - I really love the idea of coming from a line of adventurous women... such a cool idea. Thanks so much, and tell Andrea hi! Mom's always talking about her life as a chef... I think she's jealous.

Lindi - Thanks for reading! I really appreciate that you take the time to follow my adventures. And double thanks for the prayers -- I can definitely use them. :)

- L

Jenn Lowe said...

Hey, Can my souvenir be an outfit? s'il vous plait!
Oh, I just figured out how to leave comments, if you haven't noticed ; ) mwa!